Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Training coming up

Catchup
Yes, delicious catchup! Made from tomatoes of loving homes*.
No! Wait! Actually I am trying to catch you up on my running activities.

Last week, I ran 33.82 miles. The week before that I ran 18 miles (but 45 miles from the week before that).

Chicago
Some of us bloggers are headed for Chicago this year. I am.

Others are Melisa, Maddy, Petra, David, Ryan & Susan.

I am going to run a marathon for the first time in my life. Which brings us to training…



This is a modified Hal Higdon training schedule for a full marathon. At least, it started out that way. It has been modified for me. It was not modified by an expert. I modified it.

I will not strength train. I hate strength training. I won’t do it. But that is just me.

I will cross train. I have the mountain bike out of storage and it is getting prepared as a medium to use on Mondays for cross training.

Opinions? Let me have it, friends!

*Thanks goes to A Prairie Home Companion for the catchup blurb.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger nylisa said...

Yay, Charlie! You're gonna do it! I'm so excited for you!

Don't worry too much following the schedule strictly to the day. Give yourself enough wiggle room to rest, especially after the long runs.

Goal #1 is to make it to the starting line healthy!

12:05 AM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

Charlie,
Thanks for posting your schedule. I'm going to check it out. Whatever I go with will probably be slightly modified as well.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Alberto said...

Go for it! :-)

9:11 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Charlie - you'll do great. I looked at your plan. Given that you are already at 30+ miles a week, are'nt the first few weeks a little less for you. You could just pick weeks 5-7 and replace the first 3 weeks with that. I am no expert though -just my thoughts!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

You've been having a good time with old Hal there haven't you? I am a terrible friend - I promised to review this long ago and here we are you're a week from kickoff. I agree with Akshaye that it seems a bit conservative for someone with your kind of mileage under your belt. On the other hand it's a long old road to get to the start line and you don't want to get burned out - consistency will do it for you. I'm going to look more closely and get back to you... Better late than never, I hope?

9:57 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

So exciting to be training and in touch with other runners anticipating Chicago Marathon!
Inspiring to "catch" the energy from each other.

But oh, what's the deal with just a bit of lifting some free weights?
I have my 8 and 10 lb weights at the end of the kitchen, where I trip over them.. and am reminded to do a couple of sets now and then.

Don's blood tests at Mayo Clinic today were good, and he is responding well to the experimental drug.. with tolerable side effects.

6:28 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Looks like a plan. If it leads to the starting line, it's a good one.

12:03 AM  
Blogger David said...

I would go with it. If you feel good enough to lay down a few more miles on the long runs, try it. I always do at least two 20s.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For your first marathon, I think the most important thing is that you feel you can stick with the plan reasonably and get to the start line with no injuries. You have a strong enough base that the first couple weeks may feel easy but that's a good thing, not a bad thing. Most first-time marathoners will do only 1 20-miler in training. You've got a 19-miler in there too so that'll give you an extra challenge and give you more preparation. Good luck!!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I think it is PERFECT, Charlie.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home