Monday, June 23, 2008

Training, Jeeping and Summer Fun!

Marathon Training
I have completed my second week of training for Chicago. I am using a modified Hal Higdon Novice training schedule. My cross training is on my mountain bike. I completed 34.32 miles last week.
I discovered yesterday that the Bear Creek recreation trail is open all the way to the Platte River. That makes choices for long runs a great deal broader! It had been closed due to a major commercial construction project.

Is it Summer already?
I ran the offset smoker on Memorial day weekend. That makes it sweet now. For a great BBQ meal, I just grab something from the freezer, heat it up and serve it! A great part of Summer at my house.

Jeeping!
At the current cost of gas (I heard it went up 10 cents a gallon overnight), I still have to find time (and the money) to go Jeeping. I enjoy it so much!
Tom, Molly and I joined some others to run the Red Elephant Trail. This trail is also close to the city. The trail is steep, with really loose dirt and rocks.
13 rigs went on this trail ride. We drove the Red Elephant and the Mill Creek loop. The Mill Creek loop has a National Forest Service ‘living’ museum of an old cabin maintained in much the same way as when it was built. Visitors tend to leave a personal item of some kind (cabin related usually) and can sign the guest book.
There was some snow but not a lot. We had some fun bashing the way through one wall of drifted snow. Here are some pictures –








Of course, I could not resist the pull to run part of the trail I ran 4 miles of it. Always pack those trail shoes!

Finally...
Now some people tend to go a little overboard when they design a rig. This is Tom standing by a truck with 53” tires! It looks too pretty to actually run the back country, though!

8 Comments:

Blogger Alysha said...

Very cool pictures! Good luck with your training.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Love the photos it is just SO beautiful where you are! And you sound right on track training-wise - keep it up!

1:05 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Wow.. nice truck there! Yeah.. its a shame that gas prices keep going up and up through the summer.

This month I tried eliminating commute driving as much as possible and I am down to 300 miles for the month which is less than half my usual mileage. Its not so much about the money - I just refuse to become the proverbial frog in the pond!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having a few different places or routes to run long runs on is great. Running the same roads over and over can get boring.

I always enjoy your pictures!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

Great to hear a trail u like is available for long runs again!

Wow...u guys on these jeeps - you're fanatics! I'm amazed that u can get your jeeps thru such terrain - do you do major mods to them or what? Or, excuse my ignorance, do standard jeeps have such capabilities?

9:34 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Great pictures!!

Thanks for thinking of me at 5am when the chirping woke you ... I think.
You made me laugh again.

5:53 PM  
Blogger LIrunner9 said...

Can't believe we've completed 2 weeks of training already! where does the time go. LOL Keep up the great work!!!

Once again awesome pics!! OMG, 53" tires, I'm only 54" tall. Yikes! LOL

9:16 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, those are some big tires!!

Makes me glad my husband is only into bicycles. I bet jeeping and 4-wheeling are considerably more expensive sports.

Congrats on making through week 2 of marathon training!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home