Thursday, June 12, 2008

Interesting, but may be Trivial...

Umm... Err... This is the first time I have linked my PhotoBucket account to my blog. There are some interesting results. I do beleive that I will learn how to use the the link correctly some day...

1. I am in training for my first marathon. The first week is almost over and it has been easy. Then again, my base is greater than the first few weeks of the training schedule.

2. Have you heard about tomatoes and salmonella? 167 people have been affected in 17 western states. Colorado is one of the states. Imagine going to a restaurant, ahving a salad or vegetable dish and not having tomatoes available? It is happening. Tomatoes are available. In Colorado, we are told that if the fruits are grown, harvested and prepared in Colorado, we are OK. We are also told that if the vine is still attached, the tomato is OK to eat. Of course, tomatoes that are available are much higher in price.
Most restaurants choose not to serve any tomatoes in any form. This is a major bummer.

3. Do you dread preparing onions for a dish?
Fresh or cooked, onions can be prepared without an associated smell on you or your hands. Many people wear gloves when preparing onions, but it is not necessary to. After you cut the onion, run cold water. Have a stainless steel utensil available (I use a large stainless steel serving spoon). I wash my hands using the spoon like a bar of soap. Wipe your hands dry. No smell on you!

4. The Jeeping season in Colorado is opening! We've had a rather heavy snow load this last winter.

I ran my rig on Spring Creek trail last Sunday. This trail is normally open year round, but not this year. It is located just west of Idaho Springs.
We started out with 20+ rigs and ended up running 14 rigs.

The view from half-way up the mountainside. The town is Empire, Colorado. The distant mountain range is known as the "Never Summer Range."

The trail was clear all the way up to the "Rock Garden." The Rock Garden is a named obstacle. It is an area filled with assorted sizes of rocks. By traversing it, a rig can move rocks and change how the next rig may go through it. The right side and the bypass were clear. The bigger rigs (read - 40" + tires, clearance and lockers) worked at clearing the left (most difficult side) of fairly heavy snow.

It took the group 4 1/2 hours to run the 5 mile trail. It was a lot of fun, though.

As these rides go, we ended up in a smaller group when we neared the top. Many of the rigs were trailered in so those rigs had to return the way we had come. We did not have that restriction and could venture farther to see if other trails were clear.

We made it to the top and headed on an upper trail toward Idaho Springs. We were able to perform some trail maintenance as we went. A tree had fallen and blocked the trail.

Other rigs were starting to go around the tree. I subscribe to "Stay The Trail" and when people go off trail; it can close a trail, or damage the reputation of the entire community. So it was a strap, a pull and the tree was moved! The trail was clear!

I did not run any portion of this trail.

5. For fun, this is a video of a buggy running the left side to clear snow.


9 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

Love visiting the Rockies!

A few years ago Don and I took a hike several miles into the North Cascade Mountains. (near Holden Village on Lake Chelan). Unusually heavy snows and a late spring provided us with a parade of wild flowers... in JULY!

Super pictures!!

6:31 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

Hey Charlie! How is the training going? Are you anxious to get deep into it yet??

The first few weeks will seem like nothing to you, but I promise you by the end you'll be so amazed that you're running such distances!

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the onion tip! The pictures are great.

5:56 AM  
Blogger nylisa said...

Do you get that too? I'm wondering if I need some sort of supplement. Maybe the cartilage is wearing thing.

Anyway, I'm so looking forward to the Sports Band! Now I can actually gauge my pace!

9:02 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Man .. you always post the best pictures! Now we need many more since you have your account linked!

Cool tip on the onions.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Re: onions
Onions are used in SO many recipes that I like to chop a lot of them and store them in tupperware in the fridge for a few days. Makes prep the next night faster too!

8:33 AM  
Blogger peter said...

Man that big rig had some clearance! I cringed when it came back down over the rock but no problemo. That would be some uphill runnin' if you took to the trail by foot!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

You all are so much fun! Wow..I'm amazed at what you guys can drive thru!

And, the mountain photos are awesome!

5:08 PM  
Blogger LIrunner9 said...

Sweet rig you got there!!

I miss the Rockies. Some of my Dad's family lives in the Denver area, and when I was a kid we'd visit. Very cool!!

And your photos are just breathtaking!!

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home