Sunday, October 05, 2008

On The Taper – With One Week to Go


I am twelve taper miles to go to the Chicago Marathon. 4 @ 3 mile runs. I will run one of those with my friends from “What’s a Few Miles Among Friends?” Yes, Maddy, Petra, Melisa (AND her husband) are running Chicago, also!

Last week, I ran 34.07 miles. It feels like so very few. The long run was 8 miles. For several weeks that was a regular Wednesday run! Overall, for 2008, I have run 1,280 miles. I do think that I am ready.

I will be using the Chicago Marathon as my run in the Worldwide Festival of Races. I am specifically running the Phedippidations World Wide Half-Marathon! You can find out more about these events here.

I will be wearing my yellow wristband in support of Team Elijah. Elijah Talley is a boy that is in battle with neuroblastoma cancer. You can find out more about Elijah here.

I have dedicated each mile of my first marathon to several people or organizations. I will share that later in the week. Many of you have run marathons. This is my first marathon. It is an achievement of a personal goal. I mention it everywhere I go and to any group that I may address. This is an important event in my life.

As time for the event gets closer, I would like to thank each and every one of you that follow my humble blog. I get a lot of inspiration from every comment that is left. I have learned so much and in so many ways. I just want to thank you for being there and sharing your thoughts, opinions, experiences and life situations with me. Thank you!

Enough for now! Look for a final countdown on this blog soon.

10 Comments:

Blogger Road Warrior said...

Charlie, you will be a different person after you finish the marathon. You're ready and you're going to rock this run. Chicago won't know what hit it.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're ccounting down together! I love the idea of dedicating each mile to people or an organzation.

Only a few more short runs left.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Charlie - you're an inspiration yourself. I can't wait to meet you and then to run with you - what a privilege to join you on your first marathon. You have come so far with your running - in mind more than anywhere else. You can do this - think of what else is out there. We are lucky to have your blog to read Charlie - see you on Friday!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

You are so ready Charlie. We are going to have a great time in Chicago. I can't wait to meet you in person.

Enjoy the taper...until Sunday.

Irish Blue

4:28 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Whoo hoo! Game time!

4:44 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Super exciting. Way to go Charlie!!

7:18 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

How wonderful to witness your transformation from someone who wasn't sure they could run a marathon to someone who is. You are nearly there, Charlie. The hard work is done and in just one short week you'll be able to reap your reward!!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

It has been fun to read about your journey!

7:01 PM  
Blogger David said...

Pack your bags and head on over to Chi-town. Pack your swim trunks too. It looks like it's warming up.

I received my YELLOW CAUTION e-mail minutes ago to warn us about hydrating and going out slowly. I agree on both counts no matter what the conditions.

You are very ready with a strong base and a dedicated purpose. Enjoy it.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really like the idea of dedicating each mile to a person or organization. Makes the miles more meaningful. Good luck!

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home