Monday, September 08, 2008

Isn't This Supposed To Be A Running Blog?

Well, Yes! It is!

Running...
Here is some information. Saturday morning, I ran the furthest that I have ever run. 20.48 miles. At least that is what my Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS watch told me. The Nike + iPod system gave me 20.15 miles. I really don’t care. It is the furthest run that I have ever accomplished.

Training is time consuming. I have met with some frustration from friends and family about the training. I get frustrated myself. At times, it seems like the only thing that I am doing/accomplishing. The good news? One more really long run, then it is the taper to the Chicago Marathon!

Question: Did I hit the wall? With about 1.5 miles to go, I felt OK physically, but I did start to get nauseous. I had slowed down, but I don't think that was odd. It was not a slower pace that those toward the end of many a long run. I was able to run on, but there was a jaw clenching feeling of any moment I'm going to toss cookies. My next liquid was supposed to be the gatorade that I was carrying, but I drank water instead. The nauseous feeling abated a bit, but did stick with me until I crossed the "Finish" line. I saw Tom about that time, and started dancing around him singing something silly like, "I did twenty! I did twenty!" After a couple moments of rest, I felt fine again!

Have any of you "Hit the wall?" What was it like for you? Let me know...

I ran 50.82 miles for last week. I ran 33.27 miles the week before that. I did ride the bike for 13.42 miles in that same week.


Update…
If you read my blog, then you know that I contributed to a rescue over the Labor Day weekend. Often in that kind of scenario, you never hear about what happened after they left the scene of the occurrence.

One of the other students did send me an e-mail explaining some things (Names have been changed to protect privacy). Here it is –
“Hello and thank you for your help this weekend.
I am very interested to see the photo's that you took yesterday and Micheal was very excited to hear that someone was taking photo's.
My friends and I just got back from Grand Junction where Micheal is being taken care of. He is looking a lot better today however he has some pretty serious injuries. He has lots of stitches and staples in his head, fractures to some parts of his skull, a blood clot that is being monitored heavily, he broke three ribs that injured his plural lining of his lungs and last but not least he has a broken pelvis.
We are all very thankful for the help that everyone gave to us and Micheal. It is very encouraging to see everyone coming together for such a freak accident. A lot of us shared the scariest thing we have ever been through and are very grateful that we are all still here and that Micheal is still alive.
Again thank you very much.”
Casey Davis

Picture Updates

What the roof of the snow cave looked like prior to the cave in.


Tom operating the winch control.


The helicopter taking off with “Michael” inside…

Finally...
Then a couple of days later yet, I received an additional e-mail from “Casey.”

“Thanks Charles.
I know Mike will be very excited to see the photos as well as all of us involved. I heard from some friends who saw Mike again on Monday he is doing even better than Sunday. He was able to get up to move himself from bed to bed when moving out of ICU, he was talking more and looked in less pain. Sunday he was still a 4-5 level pain on a 10-scale. Mike's been talking more and able to laugh a little but still doesn't remember anything from climbing down the hill till he arrived in Aspen. The Best news that I have heard is that he will be returning to Western State College to continue his studies instead of returning home in Oklahoma. None of us knew Mike more than a week since he had just transfered from a school in AZ. What a first weekend of school eh?
Again thanks for uploading the photo's so quickly.
Thanks a bunch!”
Casey Davis

So it seems that this incident will have a positive ending! That is always a good thing!

The Last Word...
I watch "Top Gear" on BBC America. It is a show about cars. On the last show, the host raced a marathoner against a little European Fiat. You know what? The marathoner won the competition!

12 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

Hi Charlie!

I am behind on my blog reading. What an amazing rescue you participated in over the holiday weekend! Truly incredible!

Congratulations on your longest run ever! You should be proud of yourself! I'm proud of you!

I cannot wait to meet you in person in Chicago! It's going to be quite an experience.

You may want to brush up on your "Some Say" Stig sayings. We are also big Top Gear Fans and once my son finds out that you are a fan also, he will want to trade favorties with you!

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very happy to hear all involved are doing well especially "Micheal."

Great job on the 20! Good for you. For me hitting the wall is mental. I'll start to get tired both physically and mentally. The key for me is staying focused and staying mentally in it.

5:51 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Great to hear the guy will be OK!

I've hit the wall in a couple races and knew it right away. Fairly suddenly I went from running a certain pace to MUCH slower and there was NOTHING I could do about it. It's quite different than general physical or mental fatigue or slow-downs due to heat and/or dehydration, which can often be helped by walking, eating, drinking, cooling off in the shade, applying ice, finding some motivation somehow. I've never completely bonked, however, which I've heard is where your body begins shutting down altogether (I'm sure you've seen the painful video of Julie Moss trying to finish the 1982 Kona Ironman). People sometimes use the terms interchangeably, though.

12:50 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Great job on the rescue and congrats on the long run. Both are amazing accomplishments to be proud of.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Road Warrior said...

50 miles in a week is a ridiculous amount of mileage, Charlie. You've earned that taper!

I hit the wall around mile 18 in the marathon. My feet got heavy and things got bad. I sucked down a clif shot, got some gatorade and gave someone a call. That was all the pep I needed to finish.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Thanks for telling us what happened after the rescue - quite a story!

And that long run! Well done. Running, and training, DOES interfere with your life and that can be quite difficult at times. You just have to work out where it fits in and when to prioritise running, and when life. And accept you sometimes get it wrong...

And as for bonking - the only time I've really bonked in a race was when I ran a marathon I hadn't trained for (March last year). It made me realise why you train... But I always feel nauseous in races and have learned to eat my race fuel early on in the race as usually, after 16/17 miles, I am unable to eat anything... and tend to drink only water.

I am SO psyched about meeting you in Chicago - it will be such fun!

6:08 AM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Wow! Talk about a busy life. I am glad you were able to help.

2:36 PM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Oh, congrats on running more in a week than I do in 2.5 weeks. You have thrown down the challenge!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Seems like this is a heroes blog!

Looking forward to seeing your reports on Chicago!!

7:38 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

Wow, Charlie! That sounded like an incredible rescue! Good to know the guy is going to be okay.

So.... are you excited!?!? Oh man I remember the feeling of doing my first 20. Definitely a combination of exhaustion and elation. Keep that mental high tucked away because you'll need it. But guess what, it's so true what everyone says, if you can do 20 you can do 26.2.

And training IS time consuming. At a certain point you realize, wait, HOW many hours have I been running?? It's amazing what you can accomplish when you focus. You definitely earned your taper.

In terms of the nausea, I'm wondering if you're drinking a lot of water only? Maybe you need some sodium. When I did NYC last year I had some pretzels around the 20 mile mark and that seemed better.

Anyway, let the countdown begin!!!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

Charlie,
So glad you heard from Casey on his friend Micheal. It sounds like he's very lucky you were on the scene and you're such a terrific guy!

Sounds like training is going really well. Congrats on the 20.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Gosh, Charlie, I wish you live dby me! :) Or, better yet, I wish I lived by you.

The wall: you certainly conquered it better than I! It beats my butt. However, the only thing that keeps me going is saying (and thinking) to myself: I am finishing this, no matter what. I'll crawl if I have to.

Perhaps that's not the best tactic, but I've not yet had a DNF at a race. I figure after all the training we do, there's no way I'm NOT going home with a medal (even if it is accompanied by a slow time). After all, when you (ot others) view those medals, you just view the accomplishment that it is. 26.2 is a long way... no matter if it takes 3 hours or 6 hours!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home