Monday, August 04, 2008

On Schedule? You Bet!

Schedule
This week, I am on Week 9 of the 18 week training schedule I am using to prepare for the Chicago Marathon. That means that I am approaching the halfway point in my training! It also means that I am but 2 months from the event, itself!

I ran 34.14 miles last week. For cross training, I rode 17 miles along the Highline Canal on the bicycle. It was a good week. I have run 927 miles so far in 2008.

I think it is getting exciting for several of us that are making the trip to Chicago this year. Maddy, Petra, Melisa and Susan are headed out that way. We originally met at the blog, "What's a few miles among friends?" We're talking about getting similar outfits and headgear for the run!

This week, I am modifying the schedule a bit. I have a Bloodborne Pathogen presentation on Wednesday morning. It is early (for me) so I may or may not get a run in. I am also running the Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half-Marathon on Saturday morning. I will be taking Friday morning off for that. I will also take Sunday morning off to recover.

That is the last competition that I will participate in until the Chicago Marathon.

Chicago Marathon? Be sure to visit the blogs from Ryan and David as they train for it, also!


Jeeping
Did I go Jeeping? Even with the cost of gas I took the rig up to Redcone Pass. 5 rigs went on this run. I’d driven it before, so I was the trail leader. It was a lot of fun.

Redcone Pass is a fun trail that goes above timberline (the line where trees stop growing and the alpine tundra starts). It is a fun trail due to two very steep downhill runs. Everybody had a fun time that went along…






You never know what you might see on a trail ride!


Until the trip back to Denver, that is. Interstate 70 goes West from Denver and through the Rocky Mountains. We have a phenomenon here on Sunday afternoons. People who went camping, fishing, hiking, or are just out enjoying the environment all head back to town at about the same time. That makes for stop and go traffic that can truly frustrate a traveler.

We got to Loveland Pass at Keystone at 3:00 o’clock. It took 3 hours to make the trip down into Denver. That trip should tak about an hour and a half. We should have anticipated it, but instead we got stuck! That does happen, unfortunately.

Pictures!
I’ve talked about the Highline Canal trail before. I took a camera with me on today’s cross training bicycle run. I took pictures as I rode so I could share the pastoral rural scenic views that this rustic trail can show in the heart of a city like I live in.

My last 2 15 mile long runs were also run on this trail. To vary things, I ran it opposite directions.

Enjoy the pictures!







Finally…
I decided to take this totally random picture on my way back from the ride!

8 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

Random Road: cute.

Training schedules are a great guide and motivation. Sometimes modifications for the events of life are necessary. What fun you are having!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Road Warrior said...

Good deal, Charlie. You've been religious with your training and that's going to pay off when you need to get through the wall.

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on the presentation and the half marathon. I am sure you will rock them both.

The downhill runs look crazy!

5:24 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, what a treat to see that mtn goat!! Great photos, Charlie. Sounds like you're doing well with your training and having fun, which is wonderful to hear. Good luck with your presentation and the race on Saturday!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Random Rd -- love it! Of course, all of your photos are amazing. I don't think I have ever seen red road signs, FYI.

Good luck, Charlie, this Saturday! You're a pro!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Sure do like those mountain pictures of yours.
On AMTRAK to Seattle, there was track trouble in Wenachee and after waiting several hours, we were put on a bus for Seattle. Sigh. But we still love the train.
Thanks for your comment!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Enjoyed your train trip comments!!
Thanks.

7:08 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Those high-country photos--wow! (And don't tell anyone, but I also liked the Highline Canal photos of the running trail and street signs. I know, obsessive-compulsive runner.) Doing the Georgetown to Idaho Springs run? Sounds like high-altitude running to me! (And fun.) I wish I had run when I was in Colorado! Not to put pressure on you, but barring injury or a bad day, you're going to crush Chicago. So, when is that I'm-approaching-my-first-marathon-and-I-can't-do-it craziness going to start?

Thanks for the film-development heads-up.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home