Monday, July 28, 2008

Still On Schedule!

Running
Well, almost anyway… Thursday morning, something I ate on Wednesday evening disagreed with me, so I took an extra rest day to recover.

Total miles for last week? 40.66 miles. That is deceptive, though. Actually, it was 25.33 miles for last week. I chose to run on Saturday morning instead of Sunday so I could go on a Jeep Trail on Sunday.

I was quite pleased with my long run. I was able to complete it in race pace. I ran the Highline Canal for this long run. There were more runners than I have ever seen on a trail before. There were also bike riders and equestrians. It was a great way to occupy the mind by watching people as I satisfied my running goals and muscle memory.

I switched to a handheld water bottle for this run as it is a long trail without restrooms or water available. It worked!

I also changed from Cliff’s Shot Blocks to Carb Boom. Carb Boom is like gu, but better tasting (and for me) seemingly much more efficient!

I think it also helped that the weather was cool at a quarter to 7 in the morning as I started out.


Astronomy
Took some deep space pictures Saturday night, but nothing very good happened. By about the time that everything was set up and seemingly working, the laptop computer’s battery gave out. We called it a night!

Like anything else that is new, there is a learning curve to it!


Jeeping

We did a really fun, but challenging trail this week. It was rocky and although the weather was good at the start it was raining heavily as we came back down.

The name of the trail was Holy Cross City. It is an old cart trail that served a mining community high in the central mountains of Colorado. Taking it in a jeep sure gave me a lot of respect for those pioneers that cut the trail, then traveled it with horse and cart.

I won’t bore you with the details, but for my rig it was a challenge!

Here are some Pictures:








A movie of me climbing an obstacle in the Mighty YJ –


Colorado Nature
Have you heard of Colorado’s latest natural challenge? It is the mountain pine beetle.
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_pine_beetle) -
“The mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae, is a species of bark beetle native to the forests of western North America from Mexico to central British Columbia. It has a hard black shell and measures about 5 millimetres.
Mountain pine beetles inhabit pines, particularly the Ponderosa Pine, Lodgepole Pine, Scots Pine and Limber Pine. The bristlecone pines and pinyon pines are less commonly attacked. During early stages of an outbreak, attacks are limited largely to trees under stress from injury, poor site conditions, fire damage, overcrowding, root disease or old age. As beetle populations increase, the beetles attack most large trees in the outbreak area.”
Unfortunately for Colorado, outbreak areas are becoming larger and larger in size. Whole mountainsides of our National Forest in Colorado can be seen with lots and lots of dead and dying pine trees. This picture is an example –

10 Comments:

Blogger David said...

You are piling on the mileage in good order; and running at race pace probably means you'll run faster in Chicago.
Those are some amazing photos of the Jeep trail. What a way to pass the day.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

DANG I am impressed with your photography!

Way to stay on track, also. :)

6:17 AM  
Blogger peter said...

That last picture was a killer, so sad to see the natural destruction. The pix of the jeep trail were fantstic--quite a reward when you get to the old high meadow town up a trail like that. I went to a few of those, and they were great to wander about in.

There is a running tour in DC. Those are cool tourists! There obviously are walking tours, segway tours, and undoubtedly bicycle tours. The segway tourers are all potbellied, I bet the running tourers are much more svelte.

I took my 3 kids on that raft trip east of Glenwood Springs you described on my comments. In 2001 the very last time I had them together before they forsook me in the divorce wars. That was a great trip, Noah's Garden I think or Noah's Raft. I have a picture of us going through a rapid (shot by a riverbank professional) with me all business as I rowed helping the river guide and the 3 kids holding on with huge smiles as the spray flew. Our last natural shot together, a picture to remember them by!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I haven't tried Carboom, but they gave it out at my first marathon (Vermont City). I opted not to try something new during the race. I typically use the Shotblox though, so I'll have to try switching during training!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Don't bother to try to read a new post on my blog this morning. I can't get the entry to SAVE.

Sad to read of the mountain pine beetle. Insects killing whole forests... sigh. Appreciate picture.

Strange how the day of the week you start counting your miles can create an uneven picture.

Your training for Chicago is going so well, and your seem to be enjoying it. What a great story!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

A brighter afternoon: the blogger save is working for me.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

Your pics are always the best. I want to be your neighbor!

You are doing awesome with the running. Chitown should be a piece of cake for you Charlie.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always great pictures! Great job running to. I think having good long runs help to build confidence needed for future long runs and of course the marathon.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Awesome Charlie - you're doing so great in your training I think you're going to be so pleasantly surprised by yourself.

And gorgeous photos..

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

Good job on the mileage! I am still in awe of the photos you take. That huge hill was a great photo! And, those boulders - I still can't believe you drive right over them.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home