Friday, October 24, 2008

This Runner Needs Your Help And Opinions!

First of all, I wrote a Chicago Marathon race report and was going to post it, but I didn’t. Maybe I will in the future but I’m just not inspired to do that now.

A lot of my friends have been concerned about me. I'm sorry that I have been so quiet. I was in quite a quandary for a while. I am much better now. Thank you, all of you, for your concern!

Chicago was a fantastic experience even if it did not turn out the way that I would have wanted. Meeting Maddy, Melisa, Bill, and Petra was a wonderful thing. I will be adding a section to this page that will show other Runners/Bloggers that I’ve run with!

Now...

Why do I need your opinion? Why do I need your help?

I am thinking of running another marathon in the near future. I am in shape. I am trained. NOW. If you would allow an old adage, I feel that I should strike while the iron is hot!

I have rested. I could barely move the first few days after Chicago. I was walking backwards in places. My friends were laughing at me as I would attempt to stand and walk. That’s all over now. I am running again and loving it!

There are a lot of opinions about marathons and the frequency that they should be run. I think that we all know of our fellow runners that run marathons regularly. There are also schedules that allow a runner to keep in running shape between short periods. An example of a schedule is this one from Hal Higdon - http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/multiple/Multiplemara.htm.

I’m training again using the 4-week period between marathon schedule. It may change to the 6-week schedule.

What I need from you, friend and reader, is your opinion on how, why and what you would do!

Speak up now! I need your help!

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure I am running another on December 13th. That would give me 7 weeks in between marathons.

My opinion, if you are feeling good then go for it. I would take what you have learned from Chicago and apply it to this next one. When would the next one be?

I think you could do it.

Glad you are ok!

5:17 PM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Welcome back! I agree with D totally. Listen to your body and if you are feeling up to it, then you can definitely do it.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

I think you can do it, too!

Keep stretching.
Keep learning about your hydration and sodium needs as you run long.

Sometimes we think of a marathon as the long training run for the next marathon.

Glad you are back.
Enjoy!!!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I know you can do it. I'd say follow one of those specific plans and eat and drink well. Piece of cake!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Road Warrior said...

Charlie, Chicago is clearly eating you alive. You need to do another marathon and quickly so that you can move past this and cross the marathon off of your list.

Check with ShirleyPerly re. salt as you run. I can shoot you her email if you don't have it.

You are bigger than this distance, Charlie, and I know you know that. Sign up and put this damn distance out of your mind. We're all behind you.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

It's all been said above - and well! - but Charlie do it. Get that Chicago monkey off your back. Don't set yourself any time goals, be smart in training and racing, bring sodium (and have you looked at Hammer Nutrition's Endurolytes? or ecaps? Lots of good runners I know use them). Go for it. WE'll be cheering you on the whole way!

2:18 AM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto. ditto. Just do it!

6:52 AM  
Blogger LIrunner9 said...

Charlie,

I agree with everyone!! You can do it!!

The man is BACK:)

7:35 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

You know what I would do :-)

6:17 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I know you can do it and I bet you will!

We are all behind you, regardless of what you decide!

7:11 PM  
Blogger lizzie lee said...

Do it... DO IT!!! The schedule seems reasonable, and I'll follow # 4...to not run them all hard...

BTW, the 20-miler felt great...

10:21 PM  
Blogger lizzie lee said...

Charlie... I think you are wrong. I run slow so we may run together Seattle.

The weather in November? Well, I could say that it MAY rain!!!

2007 was my first and the weather was surprisingly nice 50-52 and dry. It was great. But I was told that in 2006 it hailed.... November is the month when it rains the most... I always wonder why Seattle Marathon is in November... Well, maybe there is no choice as it always rains!!! But could be cold, could be nice, could be rainy, and could be sunny (the latter could also be in doubt).

Let me know if you do it. Would love to meet you....

10:52 PM  
Blogger Alberto said...

Shit happens. I think giving it another try is a GREAT idea but give yourself the right time to recover, don't be too anxious to be back in the race! I would set a long term objective ;-)

9:32 AM  
Blogger Drusy said...

Charlie, my opinion is that you want to take advantage of the fantastic base you've built before the winter snows and malaise erode your fitness. Sooner the better to get back on that pony! (easy for me to say... I don't have to run another marathon!)

3:09 AM  
Blogger peter said...

Charlie, you're primed. Go run the California International Marathon in early December. Or come to MD and run the Northern Central Trail Marathon two days after Thanksgiving.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

I'm not sure if I can say much. Usually after a big race, without another goal, I sometimes hibernate for awhile. And, this is what I've been doing for almost 2 months...

Too long! Running maintains a very important thing for me - my SANITY! And, so, I've started running regularly again.

3:00 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

I totally understand. I thought I accomplished a good one with my first marathon last year, but those 59 seconds at the end kept bothering me until I signed up for Disney. There's no peace until you've conquered it, and I know you'll do it the next time around! I'm sure you learned a lot about yourself in Chicago, and all that will be put to good use on your next marathon! Do it, Charlie! We're all here rooting for you!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Hello out there... How's it going?

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Charlie, You can do it! You outlined the things you felt you did "wrong" in Chicago. Recognize them and you will finish. I've heard the California Int'l marathon is very nice. 2008 is your year for a marathon!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

We did Las Vegas 3 years ago.. first year they ran it right down "the strip". We had a super time.
Hope that works out for you.

8:25 AM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Charlie.. check with Shirley on this. She is the only one I know who does this so often. Whatever you decide on, good luck!

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home