Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Doldrums...

A dictionary might define “Doldrums” as a period of stagnation or slump.

Am I in a slump? Am I being inactive? No to both.

I use the term to describe a state where I am training but not actually for a purpose.

I am up to running 2 10Ks a week. Most weeks are 26 miles. I am slowly increasing the elevation on the treadmill as well as increasing my speed.

Is it giving me results? Yes. For instance, BuckeyeOutdoors.com reports that in January, I ran 110.20 miles total in 27 runs. Of that, I averaged 4.10 miles per run at a pace of 9:32 or 6.3 miles per hour.

Considering I trained for my marathon @ a 12:00 pace (and ran it at a higher number), I do believe that I am improving.

So far for 2009 (as of this morning), I have run 128 miles.

So, the doldrums. I will be happier when this “Einstein” runner can start to train for that elusive 10K at under an hour, and, at the same time for a half-marathon. That first half-marathon will be one week after the 10K. I am so happy when I can schedule and then check the schedule. Sometimes, the competition itself can be a let down. Wish me luck anyway.

More information in a bit. Thanks for reading!

How are your doldrums coming along?

And Remember...
If you are going to take up cross-country running, it is always better to start with a small country.

12 Comments:

Blogger Road Warrior said...

Wow, Charlie, you're getting much faster. A 9:32 pace is sure moving. Good for you!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Alberto said...

You are indeed running a lot and improvements come along naturally! Any big event in your plans?

4:54 PM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

I think it's important to have Doldrums or an off-season so that you are excited to begin training. Way to keep up your running during your doldrums and best of luck to you this year, Charlie.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

My only doldrums right now are with wondering what it happening in my belly! LOL

But seriously, I can not wait to start training again. For anything!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Alberto said...

I think I've been river rafting in Moab! I've been trekking long time ago in the US in the 4 states area. Also been to Colorado, sure! Great landscapes! Was searching for the trip diary to find the exact places where I have been :(

3:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doing great. Keep running. I am in a bit of a slump right now. However, I am slowly emerging.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

You're doing great there Charlie - using your doldrums to get FAST! And all this running is points in the bank - you can draw on them once you're out training again..

8:28 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

You are getting super fast!

Enjoy the doldrums and your speed!

You're doing great!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Good job, Charlie... and
Wish you luck: absolutely!!

Yes, I have been sick.. with a really rotten cold... but getting better.

When I get around to blogging in the next day or so.. I have something to say about triglycerides and high fructose corn syrup... which I ran across in my reading today.

You are one great success story.. Keep up that running across the country.

5:36 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Um.. Charlie.. that's better than most people's training weeks! You'll have a great 09 my friend!

8:09 PM  
Blogger sidfaiwu said...

Sounds like you're off to a great start for this year. Our distance is comparable (I'm at 135 for '09) but you blow me out of the water when it comes to pace. I'm at about 14:30 per mile average (of course I'm still only walking).

Good luck with your training. It looks like you're closing in on that sub-hour 10K.

7:26 AM  
Blogger nylisa said...

Wow, you're having a fantastic start to the year! I'm slowly working my way back to running more during the week.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home