Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yep! I Registered for Another Marathon!

Yes, I have.

I figure that I will get very good at running almost marathon distances or I will actually complete a marathon. I tell my friends that I am the Almost Marathon Man. I’m putting time and training miles in to make this happen.

You hear of everyone completing his or her marathon attempts. It was frustrating when I was unable to complete my first one. I realize that I made some mistakes and I’ve reviewed those mistakes many times.

What were those mistakes?

1. Nutrition - Eat properly and enough. The Friday I flew out of Denver, I had one meal. It was a healthy meal, but it was late in the day. Why didn’t I eat better? Nervous from travel mostly. The rest of the weekend was much better.
2. Rest - Need to rest more prior to a marathon attempt. I spent the day before walking tourist venues and shopping malls. I really should have been relaxing.
3. Pace - I didn’t pace out of the starting gate. I was up and down pacing from as fast as 8:30 to 10:30. I trained @ 12:00. I missed my pace group leaders. I saw them ahead and tried to keep up. Then they were gone. I have no idea where they were. I never saw them again. So, learning to pace was pretty mandatory. It still has to come from me. I have to set my pace and stick to it. I HAVE to.
4. Weather (flimsy) - One could say that I wasn’t ready for the heat and humidity. Maybe. I did run in Denver on very hot mornings and that included the long runs. I will admit that I was not used to the humidity.
5. Electrolytes - I sweat when I run. I am a Clydesdale (200 lb +) grand master (55 years old). A friend recently commented that when I come back from a long run, I have white stains along the edges of my sweat patterns. That seems to imply that I also sweat out electrolytes. I need to make sure that I maintain a good electrolyte level when I run. I am and will be using ‘Endurolytes’ electrolyte replenishment tabs every 30 minutes along with “Perpetuem" which is fuel for extreme endurance. Both products have helped a lot so far. (Thanks, Melisa – for the lead). The down side of the Endurolytes is that water is necessary when using them so that will have to be timed with water stops. It can also result in heartburn. I can endure that for a finish!

Well, that is it in a nutshell! Now all I have to do is get out there and do this thing!


What? Where? When?
Oh yeah, the details. I have registered for the Las Vegas Marathon. It is run on the Las Vegas Strip early in the morning of Sunday, December 7th! You can find out more about it here - http://www.lvmarathon.com/


Finally!
Why is there always a, “Finally?” Its because of unfinished business usually. Remember that medal that I received because of the Chicago Marathon? It had nothing to do with finishing the marathon. This medal was given out of friendship from a very special family. Well… Here it is!

And yes, I will be carrying it with me in Las Vegas!

http://twitter.com/cewtwo

15 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

You know Charlie,

You just taught me a lesson about marathons. The day before my first marathon I spent the day touring Alcatraz and Fisherman's Warf. My time was not what I expected or had hoped for.

The day before my second marathon I spent the day walking All over the Museum of Science and Industry. My time again was not what I expected or hoped for.

The day before my upcoming third marathon, I'll be runnng a half marathon, but for my fourth marathon, I think the day before I'll take it nice and easy.

I am so excited for you! I am going to check out the webiste and look for tracking. I wish I could be there to cheer you on!

You're going to do great!

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, when you said you were running another marathon I was thinking earliest January. LV is in a few weeks!!! Good for you. I know you have the will to finish this one out. I am very excited for you!!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Brett said...

As someone whose first marathon, if ever, is still in the future, I am in awe of the tenacity you demonstrate by pursuing your dream so relentlessly. I have no doubt you will succeed.

5:59 PM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

Woo hoo! Bring on Vegas!! This is so exciting. Team BR will be rooting for you.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Alberto said...

Same thought as d10! Good luck with your training, I will be checking for updates! ;-)

6:13 PM  
Blogger akshaye said...

Charlie.. I am so excited for you!
You are so ready for this. Are you already trying the fuel products you mentioned? Give yourself some time to get used to that. Good luck!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Road Warrior said...

What a great inspiration, Charlie. I'm so excited that you're getting back up on the horse to do it again.

This will be your marathon and we are going to be cheering so loudly that you'll hear us from the strip.

Keep us posted and we'll keep rooting for you!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

That medal is beautiful, Charlie. You know some fine folks!

You have taught me many valuable lessons. I can't wait to virtually cheer for you in Vegas!

1:34 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Charlie, these are some excellent lessons learned. There are many who've undoubtedly made the same mistakes. Love that medal your friends gave you. Go get 'em in Vegas!!!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

Good on you for getting back into the saddle Charlie - you will do this! We are all completely with you and behind you. You have learned so much from Chicago you will be able to use in Vegas. And one point about pace teams - they are NOT always good or on pace. If you can pace yourself that is the best thing. You know your pace, you know your body. LIsten to yourself.

Well done!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Irish Blue said...

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Petra. I thought I could stick with my pace team and depend on them, but I couldn't even keep track of them in the crowd in Chicago. Pacing yourself is your best option.

That is an awesome medal and you are an awesome guy.

We'll be watching!

5:59 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Wow, I'm so excited for you, I can't wait to see how everything turns out(if they have a live feed I'll be checking), I know you'll do great.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Oh my! You sure got a lot figured out for yourself.
.. And had a great trip, a successful almost marathon and a very special medal.

Hoping Las Vegas will be super too. Seems like good timing and a good choice. Wishing you well.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

I read through your thoughts! It definitely helps to think about the why's and write them down. Wow - I'm so impressed with you - another marathon - like this year already?

Thanks for sharing your medal and its inscription! You are a true inspiration! Have fun in Vegas!!!

7:35 PM  
Blogger lizzie lee said...

Charlie, I am so happy for you. Beautiful medal and carry it with pride in Vegas. I wish you the best and may one day we can run together....

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home