Monday, January 12, 2009

2008 – A Personal Year Of Achievement!

I accomplished a lot last year. I achieved a life goal.

This is a running blog. I did do some running. I did discover that running can wear the body down. I discovered that I do exude my electrolytes, literally, right through my skin. I have to balance my hydration.

I ran a disappointing 10K. This year, I want to run the same race again in under an hour. I know that I can do this.

I ran a half-marathon. I was not disappointed with my time. I am going to sign up for that same competition again but to PR.

I ran a 4 mile. I ran it with friends. I made a new friend! It was a great experience. This year, I will run the half—marathon again. It is just more fun!

I ran another half-marathon. I was disappointed. I experienced cramps, but did finish! Now, I have better knowledge of how to run it without! I did PR but crossed the finish line with lower leg cramps.

I attempted to run the Chicago marathon. I did not succeed. My electrolyte problem surfaced again. I dropped to the ground at mile 24 with both lower legs cramping hard. I just could not finish this one! I am not planning on running this one again…

I became a coordinator for a group on a blog site - What's a Few Miles Among Friends? If you get a chance, check it out. Think about joining our little group! I am proud of all of them! If you wonder why I don't update my blog as often as I used to, this site is the reason! But it is so worth it to me!

I learned to pick myself up and keep going. It was very disappointing, but I found out that I could continue training. I was training and looking for another marathon to run. I considered Tulsa, Seattle, Phoenix and some others. I decided on Las Vegas.

I ran the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon. This was a really an emotional experience for me. When I was preparing for this one, I just knew that I would succeed. All through this race, at different moments, I’d find myself with tears in my eyes and I would choke up.

This was an amazing start. The gun went off. Fireworks filled the sky and the Las Vegas Strip was blocked off to traffic, but not for the runners! I ran the Strip. What a moment! It continued through the finish line.

I have a friend, Mitch. Mitch is 10 years old. He is a precocious child. He saw me within the last mile of the finish line and ran alongside encouraging me on. What a guy! He made it special for me.

I will probably run Las Vegas again! I am a marathon runner now. 55 years old and a marathon runner. I impressed myself!

In 2008, I ran a total of 1,618 miles. Does that make me a runner? No. What makes me a runner is the willingness to get out there and run. Slow as a turtle, but out there. Inspiration comes from everywhere. From magazines, from runners on twitter, from other runner’s blogs, but mostly from people like you… Thank you for that!

What does 2009 hold? Let us see…

18 Comments:

Blogger Road Warrior said...

Congratulations on an unbelievable year, Charlie. I would say that running 1,600 miles makes anyone a runner... wow!

You hit some ups and some downs in 2008 but you ended the year on a great note. I'm so excited to see you rock 2009. From the looks of your 10K times, under an hour is VERY doable!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Petraruns said...

What a year 2008 was Charlie - you are very hard on yourself! Every race is a chance to learn and experience - they can't be PRs every time..

I am incredibly impressed and inspired by you - well, well done! Can't wait to see what 2009 brings you.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Alberto said...

K e e p i t u p ! ! ! :-D

2:51 AM  
Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Hey you had a lot of "disappointments" this year. I want to encourage you to take your eye off the watch and focus more on this great adventure. 1,600 miles is intense. I cannot imagine doing that. All the things you have seen and places you've been. No need to feel disappointed at all.

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had a tremendous year. I am so proud of all your accomplishments. I know there are only great things on our future.

6:11 AM  
Blogger CewTwo said...

I don't mean to sound hard on myself. I meant for it to sound like an opportunity to improve.

After all, like Greg (Road Warrior) said in his blog, that is the point of training. To provide focus for the individual runner. Isn't that the truth?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Charlie,

2008 was an amazing year! I know you had a few disappointments, but you learned from them and I know you are a better person and a better runner from what you have learned.

I cannot wait to see what 2009 will hold for you!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

You have been a true inspiration to me. What happened with some of your races as you struggled but you never gave up. Way to go on the milege you put in this year, I'm hoping that 2009 will be a much better year for me this year physically. I really struggled for years with my health issues until I finally felt good enough to run again. I'm so proud you!!! Way to GO and yes keep up the great work!

10:05 AM  
Blogger BeachRunner said...

You are a marathoner! What a year. Have fun and I wish you all the best in 2009!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

What a great year for you!! Great accomplishments.

8:27 PM  
Blogger nylisa said...

You rock, Charlie! Here's to a successful 2009!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Charlie, you are amazing. AWESOME year. You are truly a runner.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Jade Lady said...

Great recap of 2008. You are a true inspiration!

7:05 AM  
Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, that is some mileage you racked up! But, I love how you feel that numbers are not what define you. I too believe that being a runner is what's in your heart, not the number of miles or races you run.

Congratulations on all your accomplishments, Charlie. Not every race can be a PR and failures are as important to one's growth as successes, I've found out. Look forward to hearing what you have in store for 2009.

10:30 AM  
Blogger robison52 said...

You had a great 2008! I have a sneaky feeling that 2009 is going to be even better!!!! Are you planning on running the 2009 Las Vegas Marathon? Hopefully I'll be healthy and fit and run the LVM this year.

1:26 PM  
Blogger lizzie lee said...

Charlie, congrats for your 1,600 miles. Something to be proud of.

A humble advice: Never be disappointed in yourself for a bad run, or a bad day. Try not to use that word that much, if you do, it will have control over you.

Life is too short to pay too much attention to the bad outcomes, just keep focus on the positive and beautiful things that every outcome has.

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

4:13 PM  
Blogger Sunshine said...

What a marvelous year you had!
Congratulations, Marathoner!

Looking forward to your reports in 2009. Good job, Charlie.

7:42 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Nice set of accomplishments. One of my best achievements for 2008 was running with you in Denver, and another friend two times in Boulder, and my brother-in-law on a mountainside in Santa Fe in the dark, and another blogger on the Mall in July.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home